This blog is no longer being updated. You're looking for Cooking with Charles.

Monday, November 16, 2009

Things I Learned Tonight



There is a reason that you usually put things in the center of the oven and not up against one edge. Things near the edge get blackened real fast compared to everything else.

Just because a recipe has only four ingredients and three steps does not mean that it's easy.

Baking is much more sensitive than frying. The recipe is probably important. Some of you may recall that I've had trouble like this on multiple occasions, most notably with my matrix algebra carrot cake.

Sweet potatoes are pretty delicious no matter how badly you screw them up.

3 comments:

  1. What IS this four-ingredient, three-step recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a handful of recipes you can find online if you search for things like "baked sweet potato fries," "sweet potato chips," "sweet potato fries brown sugar," and so on. I took the common elements out of a handful of those recipes which turned out something like:

    2 sweet potatoes, cut into fries
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/4 stick butter
    salt and pepper

    Melt butter and mix it with potatoes and sugar. Put on a baking sheet then sprinkle heavily with salt and pepper. Bake really hot until done, about 25 minutes.

    I ran into oven space problems. The fries near the oven walls got incinerated while the ones in the middle stayed pretty soggy. Additionally, they will cook down a lot so this yields a lot fewer fries than you might expect. It is supposed to be important to keep them from overlapping to allow them to crisp. If I make these again I'll probably try wedges rather than fries and olive oil rather than butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading an article about people who are trying to perfect recipes by taking a whole bunch of recipes from various sources, including the web, and averaging the measurements. I think this is a terrible idea. I urge you, as I did when I heard about your carrot cake, to pick ONE recipe and try it, at least the first time around. Next time you can mess around.

    ReplyDelete