This blog is no longer being updated. You're looking for Cooking with Charles.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Wild Rice and Fruit Salad

This is a cold salad that they had at St Olaf, and which I always enjoyed. Between my memory and some online references this is what I pieced together.

Ingredients:
1.5 cupsuncooked wild rice
1 cupsweetened dried cranberries
1/2 cupslivered almonds
2small apples, diced
1/2 cupbasalmic vinaigrette dressing
1/4 cupolive oil
2 tbsorange marmalade
1 tbshoney


Procedure:
Prepare the rice as directed. Throw the almonds in a frying pan for a few minutes to toast them. Throw a cit of lemon juice on the apples if you like, as they may otherwise get brown from sitting around as you wait for the rice.

Mix the vinaigrette, olive oil, honey, and marmalade. The best way I found to do this was to start with the marmalade then slowly add the liquids. If you throw a lump of marmalade into a cup of liquid you'll have a hard time breaking it up.

Add the cranberries to the rice as it cools, then stir in the almonds, dressing, and apples. Serve cold.

This was a bit too much fluid; maybe decrease by a few tablespoons the amount of salad dressing.

The apples should probably have been granny smith, but all I had around were some small, soft, sweet ones. The softness was more a problem than anything, causing them to sustain damage during the mixing. Otherwise this was very tasty. It's probably really healthy too.

I took a picture of this, but I don't think I'll share it. As you may imagine, it doesn't look like anything. But I promise, it's worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment