This blog is no longer being updated. You're looking for Cooking with Charles.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Moroccan Chicken

Hello again, readers. Things have been very busy lately. I'm back now, though, and hope to resume updating semi-regularly.

This recipe is based on the internet. Just punch "chickpeas turmeric chicken" into Google and loads of hits come up. They're all pretty consistent and I stayed pretty faithful to them, with slight changes as always. The inspiration for this dish came from Anna's Halloween concoction. I don't remember precisely what was in it other than chicken, chickpeas, and turmeric so that's what I went from.

Ingredients:
1 lbchicken, diced
1 canchickpeas, drained
2large carrots, sliced
3 stalkscelery, sliced
2small onions, chopped
1 cantomatoes
1.5 cupsbroth
4 clovesgarlic, minced
1green pepper, chopped
0.5turmeric
0.5paprika
0.75 tspcumin
0.25 tspcinnamon
0.5 tsporegano
2 tspsalt
0.5 tspginger




Procedure:

This is a very easy recipe. Fry the chicken, onion, garlic, and carrots until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the rest of the ingredients. Cook until it's a stewy consistency. Serve over couscous or brown rice; serves five.

One thing I did omit was spiciness. This recipe would have appreciated come cayenne pepper (which most recipes used). I made the substitution of a green bell pepper for zucchini. I really think this was a good call; not only are zucchini creepy, but I don't think it would have blended well with the rest of the goop.

I only used one can of chickpeas; some recipes used even less. However, they're really what makes the dish exciting. I would recommend using a can and a half, and cutting the carrots smaller, to really emphasize their place in the dish. The celery was fine, but I guess celery is always just fine. I wasn't excited to have it in there, but it didn't detract from the dish. It played a very inconspicuous part.

No comments:

Post a Comment