This blog is no longer being updated. You're looking for Cooking with Charles.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Stir Fry Hot Dish

This recipe is something I came up with a while ago. I used several sources for reference; both the internet and the Concordia Language Villages cookbook were relevant. However, I have never really seen anything properly like this done before. I'm very proud of it.

Ingredients:
3boneless pork chops
0.5 csoy sauce
1.5 cfresh broccoli
1.5 csliced carrots
0.5 cchopped red onion
1 cdrained pineapple tidbits
0.25 cpineapple juice
1 cdry rice
4 clovesminced garlic
1 tspcock sauce
water


Procedure:
Soak the pork chops overnight in half of your soy sauce and half of your garlic, just like Jamie used to do. Sleep, go to work, come home. Preheat the oven to 350F. Brown the outsides of the pork chops. They will bake, so don't worry about cooking them through.



Combine the remaining garlic and soy sauce with hot sauce, pineapple juice, and 1.75 cups water. Put the water mixture and dry rice in the bottom of a 9x13 glass pan. Give it a wiggle to make sure it's about evenly distributed. Add the onions and pineapple. Mix it around a little bit, but generally try to keep the rice on the bottom. Add the carrots and broccoli, mixing a bit more, but still with the intention of keeping the rice the wettest. Place the pork chops on top of the broccoli.



Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for about an hour. If it seems a bit soggy at this point, remove the foil and bake for another ten minutes to let some steam out. Makes three sizable servings.



Now, just because I was happy with this doesn't mean there aren't things I would change; there most certainly are. The broccoli was overdone for one. I think it would be appropriate to add the broccoli halfway through baking. It would still get plenty done.

It was also a bit wet. I would decrease the amount of water by 0.25 cups. I think I would replace a further quarter cup of water with pineapple juice (there is no shortage of it in a can of pineapple tidbits). Some could also be added to the pork chop soak. And the amount of hot sauce should be doubled or more. There was really no appreciable heat.

And, while pineapple is a good taste in conjunction with both stir fry and pork chops, having almost as much pineapple as either of the real vegetables was distracting. I think that increasing the amount of pineapple juice would make it acceptable to half the amount of actual pineapple. That way I can snack on more of it as I'm preparing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment