This blog is no longer being updated. You're looking for Cooking with Charles.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Photodiary 2: Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Dear reader, this is one I've been excited about for a long time. Not knowing anything about cake, I followed an online recipe exactly. However, I'll discuss some changes I recommend. The online recipe does not specify a bake time; mine took 35 minutes in an 8 inch pan.





The first thing you'll notice is that this is a lot of butter. I couldn't get it all to soak into the brown sugar. I recommend reducing the butter to 3/8 cup and the brown sugar to 2/3 cup. The size of the cake is not enough to justify (or support) all of that.

Additionally, the batter is very runny. It has a hard enough time solidifying while sitting in a pool of butter, so this seemed a little suspect. It did eventually turn out alright, though, and tastes like a cake. Even so I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they wanted to use a premade yellow cake mix. That's what most recipes I found recommend anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment