This blog is no longer being updated. You're looking for Cooking with Charles.

Friday, December 30, 2011

Soup Swap

This is a bit delayed, but I'm finally getting my recipe from Soup Swap (which was almost four weeks ago!) up here. It was a swimming success and Soup Swap II will hopefully happen sometime in the next few months.

My soup was a sort of chicken and veggie concoction based on this previous recipe. I made significant changes to the vegetables used, some for better and some not.

Ingredients
1 large can (28oz) diced tomatoes
1 quart vegetable stock
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 cups cubed chicken
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups cubed pumpkin
2 cups sliced zucchini
2 cups chopped red onion



Procedure
Add all ingredients to a large pan. Boil, stirring occasionally, until all vegetables are tender. I did this on the stove and served it in a crock pot, but it's probably doable in a crock pot too.



Vegetable amounts are approximate; you can see in the picture that I was a bit heavy on the pumpkin and a bit light on onions and zucchini.

I didn't realize it as I was cooking it, but this is significantly more vegetable than I had last time, but with the same amount of spice. I would increase each of the spices by about 50%. I also wish I had, like last time, used a clearer broth. This one was pretty dark and it didn't give me the flavor I was looking for. I think I used vegetable bullion cubes before.

The pumpkin was used because I had one around. Others thought it was pretty good but I wasn't a big fan. I think a better addition would be 2/3 dry cup brown rice. Since brown rice takes a while to cook I would then probably add the rice and chicken, boil for fifteen minutes or so, then add the vegetables. If you boil the vegetables for too long they will get mushy.

Overall, this is still a fine recipe. It's even better if you have some bread to dip in it. I'm not sure how many it serves; it was sampled by eight-ish people and left significant leftovers. Probably something like 6 large servings.

I would also like to draw your attention to a few of the other soups that were featured at Soup Swap. I've just got a few pictures here; Sarah has more and is compiling the recipes to send out to everyone.


Sarah made French onion soup, complete with cheesy toast.

Taylor made a spicy chicken chili.

Ricky brought a hearty venison stew.

Aaron and Katie brought wonton soup.

Bryn brought a festive Korean soup that you assemble on the spot.
We also had Caitlin's creamy broccoli soup and Alec's cheesy potato and onion soup


Most unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of my fridge after soup swap; Between Sarah and me we had just short of ten pounds of soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment