This blog is no longer being updated. You're looking for Cooking with Charles.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Spanish Chicken

This recipe comes from 500 Best-Ever Recipes: Mediterranean (ISBN 0-681-63051-5). At times the recipe was unclear about which things were in which pan and what was being cooked versus set aside. I'm fairly sure that I ended up doing more or less what they wanted. In any case it ended up great so I'll write up what I did.

Ingredients:
1/2 lbchicken
1/3 lbbacon, diced
1 lbtomatoes, chopped
1red bell pepper, chopped
1green bell pepper, chopped
1large onion, chopped
3garlic cloves, minced
1 tspground paprika
3 tspparsley, chopped
salt
black pepper
olive oil


Procedure:


Mix the paprika with salt to taste, about 1 tsp, and rub on chicken. Begin frying it slowly in a bit of olive oil. Meanwhile, start the bacon in another pan.



When the bacon starts to brown (and has given off fat) add the onions and garlic. Fry until the onions are browning and soft. Then add the tomatoes to the bacon mixture. This is the sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.



Add the bell peppers to the chicken pan (it doesn't matter if they don't really fit) and let the chicken finish cooking. Then mix the chicken and peppers into the sauce. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.



Add parsley. Makes four servings over rice.

This worked out really well despite ambiguities in the recipe. It's not spicy at all, which is something I would typically want in a chicken dish over rice, but it's plenty well flavored. I think making a sauce by starting with bacon is a strong idea but it was a little strange for me after not having eaten bacon in so long. In the future I may replace the bacon with a small amount of the co-op's wonderful greasy chorizo (which is also frequently used in this Mediterranean cookbook). That would add a bit of spice and perhaps trump a lot of the vegetables, though.

The recipe called for skin-on, bone-in chicken. I used skinless boneless chicken breast strips. It worked great. If I repeat this recipe I'll go even further and and use pieces of chicken cut into chunks.

Despite similarities to a pasta sauce, I think this would be really strange over noodles. Rice was for sure the correct choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment