This blog is no longer being updated. You're looking for Cooking with Charles.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Sweet Potato Breakfast Scramble

This recipe is based strongly on one I found here. I did change a few things, but in some cases I suspect it was for the worse.



Ingredients:

3Andouille links, sliced
1sweet potato, sliced
1onion, sliced
1garlic clove, minced
1jalapeƱo pepper, seeded and diced
salt
black pepper
cinnamon
cumin
eggs


Procedure:



The whole point of this meal was to use up some sweet potatoes. I cut up two, which you will probably realize when you cut up just one and note how much more I have than you. Two was too many, not only for the meal, but for my pan.

The preparation here isn't particularly exciting. Fry the sausage until it's mostly done, then add the sweet potatoes (and probably some additional oil). Cook those for a while then add everything else. The cumin won't really matter in the end as far as i can tell but go crazy with the salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Especially the cinnamon. Trust me. Mix well then serve with a fried egg on top.



Child's play. The recipe makes three hearty servings, each of which should be topped with a fried egg.



What excites me about this is that I don't think I did it particularly well but it was still good and unusual. The egg on top really does make this feel like it's going to be a salty greasy breakfast food (though it actually is not particularly greasy). Then BAM! Spicy cinnamon sweetness.

I imagine this will make your breath terrible, so I recommend eating it before spending time with people you have no interest in smooching.

The biggest mistake that I made was slicing the sweet potatoes instead of hashing them. My concern was that sweet potatoes are hard, so hashing them is a pain. But slices were more of a problem for me than hashing a potato would have been. They were too thick to cook in a timely manner and too wide to really fit on a fork with anything else. And with this dish, it's all about getting a little bit of everything in every bite.

As I've shown before, it is possible to cut sweet potatoes into fries or hashes. Perhaps the more clever way to go about doing so would be to boil (or microwave) the potato for a few minutes to soften it up and make it take more easily to a cheese grater or fry slicer.

The recipe I worked from did use cilantro, which I did not. I'm skeptical about whether it belonged.

That's all for now; we'll see if I can write up Lo Mein for tomorrow night.

1 comment: